Clear aligners have revolutionized the field of orthodontics. Today, many people can get a perfectly straight and healthy smile without needing to go through months or even years of metal braces.
These aligners make straightening your teeth a lot more discreet, and more convenient. There is one potential downside, however, and it affects tea and coffee lovers.
You Should Take out Your Trays Before Drinking Tea or Coffee
Basically, you cannot drink tea or coffee while wearing your clear aligners. In fact, you should only be drinking plain water while wearing the aligners.
And there are 3 very good reasons for that:
- Heat - The clear aligners are made of plastic, which means that when they come in contact with heat, they can become pliable. It’s very important to avoid this because the aligners may change their shape and affect your treatment.
- Stains - Coffee and tea can stain your teeth, but when you’re also wearing clear aligners, this can happen a lot faster. Coffee and tea can become trapped inside the aligners and remain in constant contact with your teeth, which increases the risk of discoloration. Moreover, the aligners themselves can become stained.
- Sugar - Do you enjoy your coffee or tea with sugar? If so, sipping on your beverage while wearing clear aligners would allow the sugar to sit on your teeth longer with nowhere to go, increasing your risk of tooth decay.
Tips on How to Keep Enjoying Coffee or Tea With Clear Aligners
Don’t worry, nobody is going to ask you to stop drinking tea or coffee during your clear aligner treatment. But, you may have to make a few changes with this daily ritual.
Here are some tips that can help you enjoy your favorite beverages risk-free:
- Remove before drinking - The simplest way to enjoy your coffee or tea is to remove your aligners before you start sipping. Once you’re done, rinse your aligners and your mouth before putting them back in.
- Drink quickly - If you usually enjoy sipping your cup for hours, try to cut that down to around 15-30 minutes. Remember, you need to wear your aligners for at least 20-22 hours a day!
- Use a straw - A straw can help limit the amount of coffee or tea that comes in direct contact with your teeth.
- Brush your teeth after drinking tea or coffee - If you’re drinking at home, it’s best to brush your teeth to make sure you remove all traces of the coffee or tea before putting your aligners back in.
Get a Perfectly Straight Smile at Mint32 Dental
If you're dealing with tooth alignment issues and are wondering if clear aligners are right for you, Dr. Leidy Riano Galeano can help you find out.
Book a consultation at Mint32 Dental and stop by to find out how to get that perfectly-straight smile you’ve always wanted.
For more information about clear aligners, call us at (407) 519-0634.